Hearing Climate Change in NYC - Concert Program
This concert and the other two concerts I will be doing as a part of this project (August 8th in Red Hook and September 25th in the Bronx) are all sponsored by the Puffin Foundation. The grant funded the three commissions by Chloe Rowlands, Jen Baker, and Yaz Lancaster that I will be premiering on each concert. Each commission is tied to a specific location that has been / will be affected by climate change. Chloe Rowlands' piece The Water Rises which I am premiering on July 12th is inspired by the sea level rise at Battery Park. If you are interested in tipping me for the project or for the performance, please find me on Venmo at @Kate-Amrine and at Paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
Golden Hour by Cait Nishimura
Dark is a Way by Alice Jones
The Water Rises by Chloe Rowlands
Cassiopeia by Ariel Marx
Boston Bucolic by John Secunde
Eclipse by Marisa Youngs
Thoughts on the Death of a Tree by Skye Van Duuren
Climate Change in NYC - What can I do to make a difference?
While everyone knows about some things that are helpful to stop climate change (like eating less meat, recycling, biking instead of driving, not getting takeout containers or plastic straws when possible), there are some other real actionable and powerful things that we can all do to slow climate change.
1. Put your money where your mouth is. Support green businesses that use and support sustainable practices. Consider not supporting huge corporations that have historically contributed to climate change.
2. Get out and Vote. The more people in power who see the way of the future, it will be much easier to enact change on a larger scale - from things like drafting legislation to even just raising awareness to being vegan by being elected for example.
3. Consider the small things that you can do to make a difference. Shop local, compost, try and be as zero waste as possible. These things won't stop the fire in the Gulf of Mexico but they are small steps we can all do.
4. Reuse and recycle goes for more than just cans and bottles. What can you buy more of second hand and donate to area fridges, shelters, and thrift stores for someone else to use instead of throwing in the trash?
5. Avoid driving places when you can bike, take a bus, or a train instead. Check out other renewable energy sources from solar panels and ways to conserve energy in spaces you frequent.
Welcome to my news page! This is where I will share recent projects, announcements, and anything else. If you are looking to be even more in the loop - then follow me on social media! And if you want early access on my recordings/projects and other insider info - please consider supporting me and joining my Patreon community.
If you are passionate about making the brass community a more diverse place - then please check out my new organization Brass Out Loud. We are dedicated to uplifting and inspiring all brass players everywhere. We launched our inaugural workshop earlier this year with over 50 participants from 4 different countries with an age range of 13 to 60. We also had 23 faculty members of which over 70% was female, trans, non binary, and/or BIPOC. We have various Facebook live BOLD chats planned with a variety of guests and a big panel coming up. Follow us on social media @brassoutloud to stay in the loop.
Interested in hearing me talk about my projects and more? Check out recent interview on the Trumpet Gurus Podcast, Bold as Brass Podcast, and the HerStory Podcast. I was also interviewed as a Denis Wick Artist for their blog.
Thanks to covid 19 and the pandemic I have been spending all of my time at home and I now have a solid home recording set up. I've been so lucky to record on a variety of tracks during this time across many genres including musical theater, classical, experiemental, commercial, rock, and more. If you are interested in having me record trumpet, piccolo, or flugelhorn on your track please do not hesitate to contact me. I use a Royer r10 ribbon mic w a cloudlifter and an SM57 mic with a Behringer interface into Logic Pro. I use Final Cut Pro to edit my videos. You can find recording samples on my youtube channel and social media pages.
Here are some of other people's projects that I had the lovely experience of recording on.
As I Am - composed by me - combined with beautiful sculptures by William Christenberry at HEMPHILL Galleries
Indie Rock and Experimental